Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT)
Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT)
- Effect of a congregation-based intervention on uptake of HIV testing and linkage to care in pregnant women in Nigeria (Baby Shower): a cluster randomized trial. Ezeanolue EE et al. 2015; Lancet Glob Health; doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(15)00195-3.
- Why are Children Still Being Infected with HIV? Impact of an Integrated Public Health and Clinical Practice Intervention on Mother-to-Child HIV Transmission in Las Vegas, Nevada, 2007-2012. Ezeanolue EE et al. 2015; Ann Med Health Sci Res; 253-259. doi: 10.4103/2141-9248.160189.
- Linkage to Care, Early Infant Diagnosis, and Perinatal Transmission Among Infants Born to HIV-Infected Nigerian Mothers: Evidence From the Healthy Beginning Initiative. Pharr JR et al. 2016; J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001051.
Missed opportunities in preventing perinatal transmission of HIV
Male partner linkage to care and viral suppression in PMTCT
Child and Adolescent HIV Care
Child and Adolescent HIV care
Adolescent Coordinated Transition (ACT) to improve health outcomes among young people living with HIV in Nigeria: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. (Sam-Agudu NA et al. 2017; Trials; doi: 10.1186/s13063-017-2347-z.)
Multi-site description of clinical outcomes of children and adolescents receiving ART in Nigeria
Intersection of adolescent HIV and non-communicable diseases
Epidemiology of Hepatitis B Infection
Epidemiology of Hepatitis B infection
- Talla C, Itanyi IU, Tsuyuki K, Stadnick N, Ogidi AG, Olakunde BO, Patel D, Oko JO, Aarons G, Onoka CA, Ezeanolue EE. Hepatitis B infection and risk factors among pregnant women and their male partners in the Baby Shower Programme in Nigeria: a cross-sectional study. Trop Med Int Health. 2021 Mar;26(3):316-326. doi: 10.1111/tmi.13531. Epub 2020 Dec 10. PMID: 33247862; PMCID: PMC7925376.
- Adeyemi OA, Itanyi IU, Ozigbu CE, Stadnick N, Tsuyuki K, Olayiwola O, Ogidi AG, Eze C, Aarons GA, Onoka CA, Ezeanolue EE. Sero-prevalence and determinants of Hepatitis B among a cohort of HIV-infected women of reproductive age in Nigeria. PLoS One. 2020 Sep 17;15(9):e0236456. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0236456. PMID: 32941424; PMCID: PMC7498243.
- Establishment of 12 sentinel sites (six health facilities and six community sites) across the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria to assess the impact of Hepatitis B vaccination program on the epidemiology of Hepatitis B infection in women and children.
Intervention to improve coverage of Hepatitis B vaccination
Screening and Early Detection of Sickle Cell Disease
Screening and early detection of sickle cell disease
- Knowledge and awareness of personal sickle cell genotype among parents of children with sickle cell disease in southeast Nigeria Ezenwosu OU et al. 2015; J Community Genet; doi: 10.1007/s12687-015-0225-5)
- Prevalence of sickle cell trait and reliability of self-reported status among expectant parents in Nigeria: Implications for targeted newborn screening Burnham-Marusich AR et al. 2016; Public Health Genomics; doi: 10.1159/000448914)
- Knowledge and awareness of individual sickle cell genotype among adolescents in unity school in southeast Nigeria Ezenwosu OU et al. 2020. Int J Adolesc Med Health; doi: 10.1515/ijamh-2019-0149)
- Ezenwosu OU, Itanyi IU, Nnodu OE, Ogidi AG, Mgbeahurike F, Ezeanolue EE. Community based screening for sickle haemoglobin among pregnant women in Benue State, Nigeria: I-Care-to-Know, a Healthy Beginning Initiative. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2021 Jul 8;21(1):498. doi: 10.1186/s12884-021-03974-4. PMID: 34238241; PMCID: PMC8268197.
Intervention to establish and increase uptake and sustainability of newborn screening for sickle cell disease
Targeted newborn screening for sickle cell disease in LMICs
Uptake of Modern Contraceptive Methods
Uptake of modern contraceptive methods
- Impact of male partner’s awareness and support for contraceptives on female intent to use contraceptives in southeast Nigeria. (Ezeanolue et al. 2015; BMC Public Health; doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-2216-1.)
- Uptake of permanent contraception among women in sub-Saharan Africa: a literature review of barriers and facilitators. (Olakunde et al. 2019. Contraception; doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2018.12.007)
- Intention to use female permanent contraception among married women and male partners’ support in Benue State, Nigeria. (Olakunde et al. 2022. Pan Afr Med J [under review])
- Prevalence, impact, and root causes of unintended pregnancies among WLHIV
- Intervention to improve informed and voluntary use of tubal ligation among women in LMICs who desire permanent contraception
- Acceptability, implementation and evaluation of self-injectable contraception in Nigeria
Epidemiology of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Epidemiology of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases
- Banigbe BF, Itanyi IU, Ofili EO, Ogidi AG, Patel D, Ezeanolue EE. High prevalence of undiagnosed hypertension among men in North Central Nigeria: Results from the Healthy Beginning Initiative. PLoS One. 2020 Nov 30;15(11):e0242870. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0242870. PMID: 33253296; PMCID: PMC7703905.
- Cardiovascular risk factors among HIV-infected women
- Interventions for secondary prevention of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases
- Integrating NCD services into primary health care in LMICs
- Integrating NCD services with existing HIV programs in LMICs
- Intervention to reduce chronic diabetes following gestational diabetes
Mental Health in Low-Resource Settings
- Mental health in low-resource settings
- Integrating mental health screening into routine community maternal and child health activity: experience from Prevention of Mother-to-child HIV transmission (PMTCT) trial in Nigeria (Iheanacho T et al. 2015; Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol; doi: 10.1007/s00127-014-0952-7.)
- Attitudes and beliefs about mental illness among church-based lay health workers: experience from a prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission trial in Nigeria (Iheanacho T et al. 2016; Int J Cult Ment Health; doi: 10.1080/17542863.2015.1074260.)
- Ezeanolue EE, Iheanacho T, Adedeji IA, Itanyi IU, Olakunde B, Patel D, et al; Nigeria Implementation Science Alliance. Opportunities and challenges to integrating mental health into HIV programs in a low- and middle-income country: insights from the Nigeria implementation science Alliance. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020 Sep 29;20(1):904. doi: 10.1186/s12913-020-05750-0. PMID: 32993621; PMCID: PMC7526407.
- Iheanacho T, Nduanya UC, Slinkard S, Ogidi AG, Patel D, Itanyi IU, Naeem F, Spiegelman D, Ezeanolue EE. Utilizing a church-based platform for mental health interventions: exploring the role of the clergy and the treatment preference of women with depression. Glob Ment Health (Camb). 2021 Feb 19;8:e5. doi: 10.1017/gmh.2021.4. PMID: 34026236; PMCID: PMC8127631.
- Feasibility and development of curricula to train priests on cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) for perinatal depression
- Impact of training of priests on mental health screening and treatment
mHealth I: Low-Cost mHealth Interventions For Improved Health Outcomes in Low-Resource Settings
- Low-cost mhealth interventions for improved health outcomes in low-resource settings
- An mHealth Framework to Improve Birth Outcomes in Benue State, Nigeria: A Study Protocol. Ezeanolue EE et al. 2017; JMIR Res Protoc; doi: 10.2196/resprot.7743.
- A Patient-Held Smartcard With a Unique Identifier and an mHealth Platform to Improve the Availability of Prenatal Test Results in Rural Nigeria: Demonstration Study. Gbadamosi S et al. 2018; J Med Internet Res; doi: 10.2196/jmir.8716.
- Use of mhealth for birth registration of newborns
- Use of mhealth for HIV retention in care in LMICs
- Use of mhealth for enhanced patient management and improved patient outcomes especially in NCD care
mHealth II: Digital Technologies and Quality of Health Services
- Digital technologies and quality of health services
- Diagnostic and clinical decision support systems for quality maternal care in low-resource settings.
- Abejirinde et al 2019. J Glob Health doi: 10.7189/jogh.09.010420
- Abejirinde et al 2018. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth doi: 10.1186/s12884-018-1853-7
- Abejirinde et al 2018. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth doi: 10.2196/11468.
- Investigating and overcoming barriers to sustainability and scale-up of digital health innovations in LMICs
Adolescent and Adult Tobacco Use
- Adolescent and adult tobacco use
- Disparities in tobacco use by adolescents in southeast, Nigeria using Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) approach (Itanyi IU etal 2018; BMC Public Health; doi: 10.1186/s12889-018-5231-1.)
- Predictors of current tobacco smoking by adolescents in Nigeria: Interaction between school location and socioeconomic status (Itanyi IU etal 2020; Tob Induc Dis.; doi: 10.18332/tid/117959.)
- Determinants of tobacco use disparities in Nigeria
- Interventions to prevent initiation of tobacco use by adolescents
- Smoking cessation interventions
- Tobacco use and HIV
Research Capacity building for investigators in LMICs
- Research Capacity building for investigators in LMICs
- Building Sustainable Local Capacity for Global Health Research in West Africa. (Sam-Agudu NA et al. 2016; Ann Glob Health; doi: 10.1016/j.aogh.2016.10.011.)
- Gaps and strategies in developing health research capacity: experience from the Nigeria Implementation Science Alliance (Ezeanolue EE et al. 2018; Health Res Policy Syst; doi: 10.1186/s12961-018-0289-x.)
- Challenges and Strategies for Improving Training of Mid-Level Research Personnel in Nigeria (Ezeanolue EE et al. 2019; Ann Glob Health; doi: 10.5334/aogh.2405.)
- Strengthening research administration infrastructure for HIV in Nigeria
- Strengthening research capacity to conduct HIV and NCD research in LMICs
- How to Identify an interesting research area
- How to develop a research question
- How to identify and evaluate a grant funding opportunity
- 12 step approach to proposal development
- Fundamentals of Implementation Science
- Implementation Science Conceptual Frameworks
- Implementation Science Models
- Research Designs for Implementation Science Studies